Monday, November 24, 2008

PERSEF: Circles of My Multiculural Self

"This activity highlights the multiple dimensions of our identities. It addresses the importance of individuals self-defining their identitites and challenging stereotypes."

I am a/an...
-Filipino
-Lasallian
-Female
-Christian
-college student
-Kumon Math Completer
-Math Circle Officer
-adjudicator
-debater sometimes...
-soon to be ex-constant dean's lister (pagdasal nyo ako, please. lol)
-Research Assistant to a University Fellow
-nerd wanna-be
-hindi naman pahabaan to diba?

challenging stereotypes: Fill in the following sentence...
I am (a/an) _______________ but I am NOT (a/am) ____________.
My answer:
I am a Philippine Science High School graduate but I am NOT a nerd.

Why do we have to challenge stereotypes?
Because it is not a good thing to stereotype, at most times.
Encarta says that a stereotype is an "oversimplified conception: an oversimplified standardized image of a person or group". The fact that it is a standardized image and an oversimplified conception means that we can tend to see people as something they are not. And often times, what some groups of people are stereotyped as are not good, or even true, things. It could thus lead to discrimination. Take a look at the most famous example of stereotyping - women. Women were seen to be secondary to men, incapable of excelling in fields other than cooking and doing laundry. Thus, women tend to be discriminated when, for instance, applying for jobs. This still happens in some places today.

So we should challenge stereotypes and not be limited by something as insignificant as what other people think about us. For instance...


I am a Lasallian but I am NOT humble. whahahaha!

No comments: