Monday, November 24, 2008

When making an important decision, I first would consider the following criteria:


Decision making is a crucial thing to be done effectively if we want to be effective persons. So, instead of making hasty decisions during times of pressure, I've thought of these criteria that I would check on before reaching a decision.
I. Family and Loved Ones
I would consider whether this decision will be for their benefit, and whether it will make my family and loved ones happy. This is because if my family and loved ones are happy and well, then it will make me truly happy as well. Of course, as much as possible, this happiness must not come at the expense of other people's.
2. The Right Think
Before I make a decision, I must first ask myself the question, "What is the right thing to do?" This may be easy enough to answer for some situations, but for the other ones, and more often too, what is right is made complicated by many factors, and options are in varying shades of gray. At times when options are not easily seen as black and white, what is the right thing to do becomes subjective. For these situations, I would seek the opinion of trusted people, and also the teachings of my faith. With these, I would again evaluate my options and hopefully, decide on the right thing to do.
3. Time
"Anything worth doing is worth doing well," but first, I have to decide if indeed, something is worth doing. I've only got one shot at life, and I say that lots of times. I wouldn't want to waste my time doing something I hate, and at the same time, unproductive. So, I would define something as not a waste of time, or something worth doing if it is productive, or I enjoy doing it, or both! As John Lennon said, "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." :)

No comments: